Fundraising Objective and Progress
OCRA and First United Church Ottawa have identified seven individuals / family groups (25 persons) that our families hope to sponsor.
To sponsor these groups in accordance with the Government of Canada Financial Guidelines for Private Sponsorship, we must raise $184,620 (amounts have increased with the addition of new babies to the families). After deductions for in-kind donations, the aggregate net financial requirement for our planned sponsorships is $160,360.
As of April 30, 2018, we have raised $128,370, or 80% of our goal. To meet our goal we are working on raising $32,000 in 2018.
Sponsorship applications completed
- Maternal parents and minor children of a family of four settled in Ottawa. This family fled the war in Syria in 2013 and are living in Turkey. This application has been sent to Citizenship and Immigration Canada by the United Church of Canada, and is currently being processed in the CIC field office in Ankara. The family have had their interviews and are awaiting clearance to travel to Canada.
- Maternal grandmother of a family of 7 settled in Ottawa. Wafaa fled shelling and bombing in Syria and has been living in Lebanon since 2013.
- Brother and family (5 people) of a family of 7 settled in Ottawa. Osama and his family fled Syria, including a night time 4 hour walk through the desert to reach Jordan in 2013.
- Paternal mother, brother and spouse, sister and child of a family of four settled in Ottawa. Fatima and her family fled Syria in 2013 and are living in Jordan.
- Maternal grandparents of a family of 5 settled in Ottawa. Muhamed and Falak fled Syria in 2014 and are living in Turkey.